iPhone is now one of the biggest selling smart phones in the world. This is mainly because of its inbuilt features as well as the features that can be added by downloading the application from the App Store. The iPhone has started replacing the laptops in many cases but the major differences between the iPhone and the desktop computers still plays a crucial role in the usability of the iPhone.
The major limiting or restricting features of the iPhone are as follows.
- The absence of keyboard is usually uncomfortable for many iPhone users. There are many users of iPhone that are used to the keyboard. These iPhone users are used to the size of the keyboard buttons and the way the alphabets and numbers are arranged on it. When the keyboard goes missing these iPhone are supposed to feel uncomfortable.
- The size of the screen is another great concern. The size of the screen of the iPhone is much smaller than the screen size of the desktop PC and the laptop and there are many iPhone users that are habituated to the bigger screen size.
- Normally the number of buttons on the keyboard is around 100 or even more than that. In the iPhone the number of buttons is drastically reduced and this implies that a single button needs to function in a multiple ways. This can be very much uncomfortable for many iPhone users, especially those who are used to the keyboard.
To resolve these issues the iPhone app developer and designers have started selecting a single feature or a group of features that are interrelated and place the product around the central subject.
When the programmer and designers started designing the User Interface (UI) kit for the iPhone, they had already realized the factors that would cause trouble in the future. They first tried to predict the future design of the common mobile applications and then accordingly they set the application programming interface (API). This was to ensure that the mobile applications designed and developed through the UIKit, downloaded and exhibited on the iPhone without any compatibility issue.
There are four kinds of View Controllers and main concept of interaction varies for each kind. Here is some detail about it.
- Navigation Controllers: For this the mobile application designer need to study thoroughly the different levels of hierarchy in the application, go to the depth of it and surface to the top.
- Tab Bar Controllers: For this sort of user interaction, the mobile application designer has to move from one pieces of functionality to another and assure that this is done without any trouble.
- Modal View Controllers: The application designer for this type of interface has to assure that the user should be able to adjust and edit information without getting strayed away from the place used for reference.
- Table View Controllers: When designing this sort of interface the application designer needs to assure that whole information list or the choice list gets displayed on the screen of the iPhone.